The Ghana Refugee Board (GRB) was established with the promulgation of the Ghana Refugee Law, 1992 (PNDCL 305 D) and consists of the Board with stakeholder institutional representation. The Board is the decision making body and there is a Secretariat, which advises the Board and implements the Board’s decisions.
UNHCR works with the Government of Ghana through the Ghana Refugee Board, to coordinate international protection and the delivery of humanitarian assistance to asylum seekers and refugees in the country.
The Ghana Refugee Board is the sole agency mandated by Law to grant refugee status to asylum seekers. The Board coordinates refugee management, advises Government and also ensures that Government Policy is implemented and adhered to in the management of refugees. GRB therefore liaises with the UNHCR, state actors and other non-governmental organisations; particularly, the implementing agencies of UNHCR, in the implementation of activities for the refugee programme.
Primary responsibility for granting asylum and for provision of Protection lies with the Ghana Government (and therefore GRB, as the government entity). The Ghana Refugee Board maintains its presence in the Western and Brong Ahafo Regions, to exercise oversight responsibilities over all existing camps. The Board is legally permitted to conduct eligibility interviews, draft well-argued assessments, make decisions on asylum applications at first instance and advise all asylum seekers of GRB decisions, as well as conduct registration of refugees and asylum seekers in close consultation with UNHCR and Ghana Immigration Services. GRB provides registration and other relevant documentation to Persons of Concern including issuance of Convention Travel Documents (CTD’s).
The Board also promotes self-reliance and grants refugees access to the socio-economic rights, wherever possible, as well as facilitate the issuance of work permits to eligible refugees
UNHCR Ghana News
- Dutch Medical Team Funds Two Refugee Startups in Fetentaa Camp
- UNHCR and partners Celebrate World Refugee Day in Ampain
- High Profile Supporters Pledge to Stand #WithRefugees in Ghana
- UNHCR, Ghana Refugee Board organizes workshop for media houses
- Government of Côte d’Ivoire Initiates dialogue with Ivorian refugees in Ghana
UNHCR Global News
- Rohingya Crisis: A Family’s Survival Tale
- UNHCR concerned over Israel’s refugee relocation proposals
- EURELECTRIC and UNHCR announce partnership to offer sustainable and clean energy to refugees
- UNHCR concern at increasing murders of local leaders in Colombia
- Home-made rafts arriving from Myanmar / Refugee population density soaring