Helping Boost Capacity
Strengthening capacity, a core activity in the area of protection, seeks to help states meet their international legal obligations to protect refugees. Through its livelihoods programmes, UNHCR also develops capacity: it helps displaced people become self-sufficient in their places of refuge and enhances the chances of finding a durable solution for refugees.
Capacity building activities are geared towards strengthening national authorities, laws and policies to ensure the proper handling of refugee and asylum issues, the reception and care of refugees, the promotion of self-reliance of refugees and the realization of durable solutions. But the task cannot be accomplished alone. It requires a partnership framework involving host and donor governments, humanitarian assistance and developmental agencies, civil society, including NGOs, together with refugees themselves.
UNHCR Ghana News
- Dutch Medical Team Funds Two Refugee Startups in Fetentaa Camp
- UNHCR and partners Celebrate World Refugee Day in Ampain
- High Profile Supporters Pledge to Stand #WithRefugees in Ghana
- UNHCR, Ghana Refugee Board organizes workshop for media houses
- Government of Côte d’Ivoire Initiates dialogue with Ivorian refugees in Ghana
UNHCR Global News
- Bangladesh: UNHCR’s Grandi Meets Rohingya in Bangladesh Refugee Camp (Christophe Vanderperre, camera / Reuters)
- As refugee crisis grows, Rohingya struggle in roadside settlements
- Bangladesh: Mud and rain worsen plight for Rohingya refugees (Ismail Ferdous, cameraman / Michelle Hoffman, producer)
- Bangladesh elephant rampage highlights dangers for refugees
- Bangladesh: Elephant Stampede Victims (Ismail Ferdous, videographer)