“They Took My Home, But They Can’t Take My Future.”
Education is the cornerstone to sustainability and prosperity. In Ghana, UNHCR works with its implementing partner and the Ghana Government to ensure that refugees have access to basic education.
Together with local NGO Christian Council of Ghana (CCG), UNHCR and the Ghana Education Service work towards ensuring that schools in refugee host communities have the capacity to absorb refugee children and provide them equal opportunity to pursue basic education.
In 2008, UNHCR handed over 3 schools to the Ghana Education Service (GES) in the refugee host community of Gomoa-Buduburam. In 2010, a fourth school was handed over to GES in the Ellembelle District, where the Krisan refugee camp is located. These donations ensured that refugees and Ghanaian children in refugee host communities would have equal educational opportunities under the Ghana academic curriculum.
Partnering with CCG, UNHCR also offers scholarships to some refugee children to pursue secondary and tertiary-level education. The German-funded DAFI scholarship has assisted refugees access tertiary-level education in various universities, technical institutes and para-professional training programs across the country.
UNHCR Ghana News
- Dutch Medical Team Funds Two Refugee Startups in Fetentaa Camp
- UNHCR and partners Celebrate World Refugee Day in Ampain
- High Profile Supporters Pledge to Stand #WithRefugees in Ghana
- UNHCR, Ghana Refugee Board organizes workshop for media houses
- Government of Côte d’Ivoire Initiates dialogue with Ivorian refugees in Ghana
UNHCR Global News
- Bangladesh: UNHCR’s Grandi Meets Rohingya in Bangladesh Refugee Camp (Christophe Vanderperre, camera / Reuters)
- As refugee crisis grows, Rohingya struggle in roadside settlements
- Bangladesh: Mud and rain worsen plight for Rohingya refugees (Ismail Ferdous, cameraman / Michelle Hoffman, producer)
- Bangladesh elephant rampage highlights dangers for refugees
- Bangladesh: Elephant Stampede Victims (Ismail Ferdous, videographer)