Who We Help
Millions of Vulnerable People Around the World
UNHCR’s primary purpose is to safeguard the rights and well-being of refugees. To this end, we strive to ensure that everyone can exercise the right to seek asylum and find safe refuge in another country, and to return home voluntarily.
UNHCR also has a mandate to prevent and reduce statelessness and protect stateless persons.
In support of its core activities on behalf of refugees, UNHCR’s Executive Committee and the UN General Assembly have authorized involvement with other groups. These include former refugees who have returned home and internally displaced people.
UNHCR seeks to reduce situations of forced displacement by encouraging states and other institutions to create conditions which are conducive to the protection of human rights and the peaceful resolution of disputes. In all of its activities, the refugee agency pays particular attention to the needs of children and seeks to promote the equal rights of women and girls.
UNHCR Ghana News
- Dutch Medical Team Funds Two Refugee Startups in Fetentaa Camp
- UNHCR and partners Celebrate World Refugee Day in Ampain
- High Profile Supporters Pledge to Stand #WithRefugees in Ghana
- UNHCR, Ghana Refugee Board organizes workshop for media houses
- Government of Côte d’Ivoire Initiates dialogue with Ivorian refugees in Ghana
UNHCR Global News
- Bangladesh: UNHCR’s Grandi Meets Rohingya in Bangladesh Refugee Camp (Christophe Vanderperre, camera / Reuters)
- As refugee crisis grows, Rohingya struggle in roadside settlements
- Bangladesh: Mud and rain worsen plight for Rohingya refugees (Ismail Ferdous, cameraman / Michelle Hoffman, producer)
- Bangladesh elephant rampage highlights dangers for refugees
- Bangladesh: Elephant Stampede Victims (Ismail Ferdous, videographer)