Who We Work With
Our Partners in Ghana
In Ghana, UNHCR works in close collaboration with Government institutions, local NGOs and other UN agencies.
- Ghana Refugee Board (GRB) – the governmental body mandated to ensure the protection of refugees in Ghana.
- National Disaster Management Organization (NADMO) – a key partner in managing emergency refugee situations.
- National Catholic Secretariat (NCS) – UNHCR’s primary implementing partner in health and sanitation.
- Christian Council of Ghana (CCG) – UNHCR’s primary implementing partner in shelter construction and education.
- Assemblies of God Relief and Development Services (AGREDS) – UNHCR implementing partner in skills-training.
Our UN Partner Agencies in Ghana
- United Nations Industrial Development Organization (UNIDO) – partner in skills-training.
- Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) – partner in agricultural and food-processing skills-training.
- World Food Programme (WFP) – partner in nutrition and emergency food distribution.
- United Nations Population Fund (UNFPA) – partner in reproductive health.
- International Organization for Migration (IOM) – partner in mixed migration and anti-trafficking protection issues.
- United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF) – partner in emergency child nutrition and education.
UNHCR also values strong partnerships with celebrities and public figures who use their voices to further the refugee protection cause.
Globally, UNHCR joins hands with Goodwill Ambassadors appointed by the High Commissioner, Antonio Guterres.
In Ghana, musician Irene Logan, actor Van Vicker and television personality Iso Paelay dedicate their time as UNHCR Advocates. Together with the UN Refugee Agency, these key figures have been sensitizing the public to refugee issues and mobilizing public support of refugees in need since 2010.
Friends of UNHCR
The vibrance, energy and compassion of youth make them cherished allies in the fight against xenophobia and forced displacement. UNHCR has teamed up with university students in Ghana through Friends of UNHCR, a volunteer initiative to educate and engage youth in the refugee cause.
Friends of UNHCR Chapters are currently set up in the following universities:
- Ghana Institute of Journalism
- University of Cape Coast
- University of Ghana (Legon)
Join Us! To team up with UNHCR and its Advocates and Friends, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
UNHCR Ghana News
- Dutch Medical Team Funds Two Refugee Startups in Fetentaa Camp
- UNHCR and partners Celebrate World Refugee Day in Ampain
- High Profile Supporters Pledge to Stand #WithRefugees in Ghana
- UNHCR, Ghana Refugee Board organizes workshop for media houses
- Government of Côte d’Ivoire Initiates dialogue with Ivorian refugees in Ghana
UNHCR Global News
- Bangladesh: UNHCR’s Grandi Meets Rohingya in Bangladesh Refugee Camp (Christophe Vanderperre, camera / Reuters)
- As refugee crisis grows, Rohingya struggle in roadside settlements
- Bangladesh: Mud and rain worsen plight for Rohingya refugees (Ismail Ferdous, cameraman / Michelle Hoffman, producer)
- Bangladesh elephant rampage highlights dangers for refugees
- Bangladesh: Elephant Stampede Victims (Ismail Ferdous, videographer)