The Christian Council of Ghana as an ecumenical, research based and advocacy organization has a long history of working towards an increased realization of social and economic rights of the disadvantaged and less privileged in society.
For several years, the organization has been working in partnership with UNHCR and others to offer protection and assistance to refugees and asylum seekers in Ghana. With many years of accumulated experience in handling refugee situations, the Council is capable of achieving expected outcome of projects.
The organization’s main areas of operation in refugee management have been education, primary health care and general care and maintenance. It has coordinated several UNHCR sponsored education projects and as a result has the relevant capacity to carry out educational activities from basic to tertiary levels.The Council which is a membership organization operates a Headquarters in Accra, a regional office in Tamale and a number of field offices. Additionally, it works with over 200 local Council of Churches spread over the Country, to ensure national coverage and effective grassroots mobilization. The Council has accumulated over 10 years of experience in the areas of Emergency situations, Protection; Post conflict Development, working with Refugees, Internally Displaced Persons, Returnees and Asylum Seekers.
The Christian Council of Ghana provides mainly, healthcare, shelter support and educational assistance to refugees in rural and semi- rural areas as well as refugees and asylum seekers in the urban areas. CCG collaborates with stakeholders such as the Ghana Education Service (GES), Ghana Health Service, UNICEF, Ghana Refugee Board, Camp Management, Refugee Management Committees to ensure beneficiaries access these basic needs and essential services. This includes organizing training for teachers, registration of students and payment for tuition, distribution of teaching and learning materials, uniforms, and books supplies and collaborates with the GES to ensure the integration of the camp schools into the national education system; and a smooth takeover of the schools. CCG also facilitates birth registration and documentation for refugees. The Council undertakes regular outreach programs and assist persons of concern to meet their basic needs.
UNHCR Ghana News
- Dutch Medical Team Funds Two Refugee Startups in Fetentaa Camp
- UNHCR and partners Celebrate World Refugee Day in Ampain
- High Profile Supporters Pledge to Stand #WithRefugees in Ghana
- UNHCR, Ghana Refugee Board organizes workshop for media houses
- Government of Côte d’Ivoire Initiates dialogue with Ivorian refugees in Ghana
UNHCR Global News
- Bangladesh: UNHCR’s Grandi Meets Rohingya in Bangladesh Refugee Camp (Christophe Vanderperre, camera / Reuters)
- As refugee crisis grows, Rohingya struggle in roadside settlements
- Bangladesh: Mud and rain worsen plight for Rohingya refugees (Ismail Ferdous, cameraman / Michelle Hoffman, producer)
- Bangladesh elephant rampage highlights dangers for refugees
- Bangladesh: Elephant Stampede Victims (Ismail Ferdous, videographer)